The Cold, Harsh Winter

[Author's note: Please pay no attention to the title of this blog. It's simply the first thing that came to mind.]

It's a harsh, cold winter. That's more like it. It has much more of a ring to it.

Now that you've been thoroughly confused, I welcome you to the monthly update of my writing endeavors. It has been an up and down month, that's for sure, but I did get a few things accomplished and submitted, so that's always a plus.

First of all, let's talk about National Novel Writing Month. To read more about that, please refer to my blog post on November 1st. It explains a little bit. Basically, I had a goal to write an entire 50,000 word novel in one month. To cut to the chase, that did not happen. I have plenty of excuses, but here are the ones I feel like using: I got sick a few weeks ago and it was my birthday. The same thing happened last year (the birthday part) and I did not quite achieve what I set out to do. I happened to get close to 23,000 words, so I consider that a step in the right direction. The good news is I plan to keep working on this novel and it is my hope a first draft will be done by June 1st. You can read the first 12 chapters of the novel at palmtreesparadise.blogspot.com. That's all you get for now. Also, kudos to my good friend Heidi, who I believed set out and achieved her goal for hitting the 50,000 word mark. Congratulations!

Earlier in the month, I submitted two ten-minute plays to two separate festivals. I sent my play "The Last Hit" (a Jason Haskins classic) to the Actors Theatre of Louisville and my other play "Pandora's Box" to the Source Festival. I will hopefully find out about both of these in the early part of 2010.

To pass the time, like I do every December, I'm working on my screenplay "Kings without Castles". It's centered around Christmas, so that's why I usually only work on it around December. This year, I want to keep writing it and finish it. We'll see how that goes.

And finally, the fantasy novel I've so been diligently working on is done. I'm currently in the process of proofreading/editing it, so (fingers crossed) it will be mailed out in January.

That's enough pandering about me for now. I'll update on my writing again in the first part of the new year. In the meantime, I hope have more posts up in the month of December. That is unless I end up watching all the Christmas movies that are on T.V. There's a new one with Mario Lopez as the voice of a dog, so I'm pretty excited about that. With Mario Lopez (aka AC Slater), you can't possibly go wrong.

J.

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

Comments