A Wednesday night rant...

I'm in a little bit of a ranting/venting mood. It will be short and to the point.

Think of it as Lewis Black meeting Clint Eastwood telling people to get off his lawn.

This dates back to the around the Presidential Election of 2012, but it finally reached a boiling point today. We have become a lazy society. I understand how we have progressed to a twitter age of abbreviating everything. With a limited amount of characters, it was only inevitable. The same thing goes with text messaging. I, for the most part, still type out an entire text, word for word. Once in awhile I abbreviate because it's only so long that I can fight a losing battle. Abbreviating is inevitable.

It started with this: POTUS. I saw this on the scroll of CNN or Fox News or some other news station. Then the anchor(person) was using this term. I, for the life of me, could not figure it out until someone correctly used the "acronym". President of the United States. Doesn't that person, whoever they may be, deserve the respect to be called the President of the United States. Or since we're in America, simply the President? Specify the terminology. Please don't call him the POTUS.

The headline that got me today was: SCOTUS overturns DOMA. Are these two characters from a fantasy novel? Is SCOTUS the offspring of Godzilla and DOMA the newest enemy? No. Just say the Supreme Court of the United States. Or the Supreme Court. If you are a news anchor here in America and you say "The Supreme Court", I will understand that you are talking about our Supreme Court. If you weren't, you'd say "the Supreme Court of [insert other country here]. It's lazy. Please stop.

By the way, I am glad that the Supreme Court ruled well on this matter. Good for you. (For clarification, I am talking about the Supreme Court of the United States. See, that barely took of line of text.)

That is all. Have a pleasant evening. Even you NSA folks that are reading this. For a good time and good laugh, check out some blogs from 2008 or so. You can see that I enjoy a good time at the bar and have nothing to hide.

'Til next time.

Comments