On the Verge

A little over four months ago, I quit my quite stable job that I had held for the past seven years.  I quit because I wanted to focus my complete attention on being a writer. 

No job.  No income.  No insurance.  As a man of thirty-five, it was quite a leap to jump into the chasm without a parachute.

It was the best decision I've ever made.

Now, before reading much further, understand this: I am by no means stepped foot in the realm of "successful writer with means to pay the bills from writing".  I have certainly had successes in regards to this endeavor.  I have self-published an e-book (The Dragon Princess) and have started writing articles for bronconationnews.com.  Steps in the right direction of achieving my dreams in which writing is my sole means of income.

Now, here we are, four months after the fact and a new job search is underway.  I've reached a point that after four months of only writing that I do not want to return to another job that does not belong close to my heart.  A very common belief that is held true to many from the world of theater, film, and art.

To do what it takes to survive and live, though, is another story.  One must take jobs to make money in order to live.  The basic human instinct of survival requires a bit of this.

Don't get me wrong, myself and others know what we are getting ourselves into when we choose to follow our hearts and chase the dreams of writing, acting, directing, photography, and the various other creative outlets that this world needs.  So many fall by the wayside because of this, whether that means giving it up or only dabbling in it as a hobby from time to time.

Writing, to me, is not a hobby.  It is a profession that I will continue to chase stability in.  It can be hard to come by.  Sometimes the hard work, the long hours, the late nights, and faith in yourself isn't enough.  Sometimes, it can just take a little luck.  That's the one thing I might be missing so far.  A little luck to swing the pendulum my way.  It's not a lot to ask for.

I am happy (for the most part).  More relaxed and more focused than I have been over the past ten years.  I have had this opportunity to spend my time focusing on writing and writing alone.  I am very close but still on the verge.

As it is, a man still needs to live.  I am by no means penniless, but I would like some extra money to enjoy a glass of whiskey from time to time.

So you better watch out world of the employed.  Here I come.  And I won't be taking no for answer.

"Don't underestimate me because I'm quiet.  I know more than I say, think more than I speak, and observe more than you know."


Comments