Skip to main content

iPhone 6 Released...And Life Goes On

The big news is in the title of this post.  While I am continually amazed with the way modern technology grows every day, I, for one, am not rushing out to buy this new phone.  In fact, I have owned four cell phones in my lifetime.  I didn't even own a smart phone until two and half years ago.  Don't get me wrong, I love the capabilities I have with my HTC phone from T-Mobile.  I can make phone calls, there is text messaging capability, there is a camera, and I can get on the internet.  Oh, and I also played Flappy Bird for a short time.  I'm sure there are tons of other things I can do with this phone, but I just haven't.  The phone provides with what I need.  All of this begs one question: How much does the original iPhone cost now?

Okay, I'm well aware that the first version of the iPhone is probably not available for retail anywhere.  Point is, I have never been one to really clamor for the next big gadget or device.  Technology is constantly evolving and I am often a few years behind in acquiring said device.  Am I not adaptable?  No, that's not it.  Sure, I still go to mapquest.com and get directions when I'm traveling to somewhere I've never been before.  I guess I still enjoy the advantage of learning street names and memorizing directions.  The once or twice I've been with someone that uses GPS have resulted in me not remembering how to get back to a place upon a second trip.  That's just how how I roll.  On the contrary, though, I do not memorize phone numbers anymore.  I have my own number memorized, my parents, and one or two others.  There used to be a time when I would have memorized the numbers of nearly everyone I knew.  Why?  Because you had to dial that number every time you called so eventually that number became ingrained in your head.  (For what it's worth, I can also tell you my first cell number, but not second.  Go figure.)

Am I cheap?  No.  Rather I'd argue that I'm economical and find other ways to spend money.  If my cell phone is still working and providing me with the service I need (contacting people), then I will take that phone as far as I can.  My second phone I bought was because I moved to L.A. and at that time I wanted a cool L.A. phone number.  The third phone I bought was after I moved back from L.A. and I had stopped my previous service.  That third phone was a Motorola Razr.  That phone lasted me for five years before I finally decided to join the smart phone revolution.  Remember when flip phones were hip and cool?

The iPhone 6, the most basic one that is being released, now has a screen size of 4.7 inches.  When did it suddenly become ideal for people wanting bigger cell phones?  Apparently people demanded a market for bigger phones and I just don't understand it.  For awhile, the goal of cell phone companies was to create smaller phones with the same or better capability as a previous version.  The movie Zoolander, among others, even went as far as to mock this trend.  Here we are thirteen years after this movie's release and we now have these giant monstrosities that harken back to the late 80's/early 90's.  This was a time when cell phones basically were the size of cordless home phones and Zach Morris was the coolest kid at Bayside.  Cell phones, at the rate they are growing, won't even fit in the pockets of pants in the future.  These hipsters and teens that love skinny jeans will have trouble fitting their smart phones in their pockets.  Then we can finally have the answer to the age old question of "Is that a cell phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"  "Why yes, that is a cell phone in my pocket.  It's the iPhone 6."

I'm not here to judge.  I realize that I may be in the minority of people that does not rush out to buy the newest gadget or device in the first year of its release.  Not only do I still own the first VCR (VCR definition) I bought nearly twenty years ago, I also own a 'DVD Recording VCR'.  I have not used either of these devices in ages, but you'll never know when I want to watch the episode of Magic's Biggest Secrets Revealed that I recorded years ago.

My DVD player is a PlayStation 2.  That's correct, I still own a PS2.  I play Madden 08, NCAA Football 08, and Star Wars: Battlefront.  The PS2 still works great.  There was a short time I had a desire to get a PS4 for the Blu Ray capabilities.  That passed and until I come across some more money or take the plunge with my Best Buy card, I am perfectly content with my PS2.

I own a record player, CD's, a computer that is ten years old, and only bought a flat screen t.v. a few years ago.  That was only because my first t.v. finally died on me and even then, I stopped at 24 inches with the new t.v.  I'll be honest, I have not read up on what the new iPhone does.  Does it cook me breakfast?  Will Siri listen to my problems and lift my spirits when I'm feeling down?  Can you still send and receive phone calls with this new phone?  I'm not sure, but millions of people will soon find out.  I hope these people that purchase the phone can relay the answers to me.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go send some telegrams before the sun goes down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bromance of Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Matthew Lillard

In the late 1990's and early 2000's, there was no greater bromance than that between Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Matthew Lillard. The two of them appeared in no less than five movies together in a five year time span. These two were meant to be. Two young stars destined to take the world by storm as a team. Hanging out, meeting women, and enjoying the good life. And then, just like that, stardom was ripped away from them. Though they continued to work, they would never appear together again in a film.
What was it that pulled them apart? Did they just choose to go different directions? Was it Sarah Michelle Gellar that drove a wedge between these two? While Lillard eventually went on to star in an Oscar nominated film (The Descendants), Prinze, Jr. went on to write for the WWE and occasionally show up as a guest star on television shows. While both have tried, neither has recaptured that joy that once displayed on screen. Tonight, I want to dutifully remind the world of t…

American Sports Franchises Thirsty for a Title

image courtesy of flickr.com
A billy goat. A dash of bad luck. A sprinkle of a die hard fan. Leon Durham. Add those together and you have the beginnings of the recipe for the curse that has haunted the Chicago Cubs for over 70 years.
In winning the 2016 World Series, the Cubs collected their first World Series title since 1908. Their seven-game victory effectively ended the longest title drought among the four major professional sports leagues in the United States.


Now that the talk of a goat and Bartman can be put to rest, it is now the Cleveland Indians sitting on the longest drought in the Major League baseball. The Indians will be discussed here, as will the other longest droughts in the three other major American sports leagues.
MLB-Cleveland Indians
The Indians moved through the American League this postseason with ease. First, they swept the Boston Red Sox in the ALDS. Then, they took care of the Toronto Blue Jays in five games.
Yes, the Indians lost in the World Series after l…

From Negan with Love

YouTube screenshot
*The following contains Spoilers from the season 7 premiere of "The Walking Dead"
"Pissing our pants yet? Boy, do I have a feeling we're getting close."- Negan, The Walking Dead

And people thought Ramsay Bolton was sadistic.


The much anticipated season seven premiere of The Walking Dead hit the airwaves last Sunday. Boy, was it a doozy.
I am not going to spend much time on what side of the liked/didn't like it/I'm never watching again spectrum I fall in. I will say that I was enraptured, on the edge of my seat for nearly the entire one hour, six minutes (including commercials) of the episode. This was an episode that filled me with a sense of existential dread for the characters inhabiting The Walking Dead world. It is a feeling that is still with me nearly two days later.
As a disclaimer, I am only through the first ten volumes of the graphic novels. I have yet to reach the Negan arc. I am also on the side of the court that didn't m…