For the Love of Books



I love to read. Whether it's an article on the internet, the Boise Weekly, or a good book in my hands, I consider myself someone who devours information and knowledge.

Over the past year or so, I found myself reading books at a furious pace, attempting to make up for the last 15 years in which I maybe averaged two books a year. My collection of books, actual, physical books, has grown and I find there is nothing like ending the night with a book in my hands, flipping through the pages to see where the story or biography leads to next.

The digital age has brought forth avenues into which books are just a click away. Devices such as the Kindle and the Nook have given readers one more avenue in which they can enjoy their favorite stories. So much, in fact, that it was believed that these devices would make the physical book a relic from the dinosaur age.

Seems the books aren't ready to give up just yet.

In this article from the New York Times, it is being reported that e-book sales have slipped while the sale of physical books has risen. Is this a revolution against the digital age? Probably not but it is good to see these "relics" holding strong in sales. Thanks hipsters.

As an author and writer myself, this is good news. It took a long time for me to decide to self-publish my e-book and make it available in electronic form. I wanted (and still do) to have a book for sale at the local book store or available to put on a shelf. I realized, though, that publishing a book and having stories available to a reader in any form is a great thing.

People need to read. I love to hear about people that are reading books, whether it be a romance, a biography, or even my little fantasy book. Reading frees the mind. Stories take you to a far away lands and can make you think. Or they can simply provide a chance to get away into another world. Whatever the reason you decide to read, good for you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, time to go pick up a book. It's only right...


Comments