Toys, toys, toys! A hall of fame like no other


Everything seems to have a Hall of Fame so why not one for toys as well.


Raggedy Ann is in the hall of fame. The Nerf Ball is not.

If you're like me, you're probably discovering for the first time that a Toy Hall of Fame even exists. A place in which you can find all sorts of classic and novelty toys from your youth? Count me in.

I discovered this fact earlier on Saturday as a result of my weekly jaunt over to the Reno Gazette Journal. Saturday's are normally devoted to reading Chris Murray's weekly 1000 Words column. Little did I know a column on Colin Kaepernick would lead me to a morning reading about toys and their corresponding hall of fame.

This year's inductees: a paper airplane, the Wiffle ball, and the board game CLUE. Three very deserving inductees; ones I'd wager a majority of us played (with) as a child (or even as an adult). Paper airplanes were never quite my forte. Wiffle ball, on the other hand, I had quite the upper hand on and CLUE, well, I may have dominated my fair share of games by becoming a master cheater.

All these toys are worthy. I'm sure the acceptance speeches will be touching and inspirational. "I couldn't have made it to where I am without my trusty partner, Wiffle bat (you'll get in the Hall one day)." Or, "Kids, don't ever give up on your dreams of becoming an airplane. You don't have to settle for being only a 'piece of paper'."

The celebration will likely rage into the night. 

My concern, however, is for the poor items not making the Hall in 2017 and continue to be overlooked.

One, like Pac-man, continues to be snubbed by the Hall. Pac-man's contribution to the history of toys and games reads like the back of Nolan Ryan's baseball card. Mr. Man (and probably Ms. as well) deserves be recognized and not just in the lackluster movie Pixels.

Which brings us to the travesty of the Pez dispenser not being in the Toy Hall of Fame. There is no argument to be had about the Pez dispenser and its classification of candy. Millions across the globe collect these dispensers, with a wide range of depictions from Santa Claus to Yoda to Bugs Bunny.

The Pez dispenser is a pop culture staple, even making into a classic episode of Seinfeld.


Founded in 1998 and located in Rochester, New York, the Toy Hall of Fame is still in its infancy when compared to other hall of fames. One day, there's no doubt they will right their wrong by voting in the Pez dispenser, along with other classic toys like Cabbage Patch Kids and the Matchbox cars. Let's hope it doesn't last until a veteran's committee must make the difficult choice on what toys make it and what toys don't.

If it comes down to that, who knows what can happen. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go ask my Magic 8 Ball how the rest of my weekend will turn out. (Ask again later).

picture at the top of the article courtesy of flickr.com
Follow me on twitter: @jasonrh_78
Missed a post? Stay up to date by visiting jason-haskins.com    


Comments