The Academy Awards: No predictions here (okay, maybe a few)


Sitting here, waiting for the Academy Awards to start, I wonder to myself, "Did I ever enjoy watching the red carpet arrivals? And if so, why?"

The event itself I have enjoyed, at least for the past 20 years. It was around that time I really zeroed in on wanting to be a writer -- specifically a screenwriter or playwright -- so extra attention was paid to that year's ceremony. 

Going forward, and to this day, I don't believe I've missed any showing of the Academy Awards. 

The event itself is a self-congratulatory affair but also one recognizing some of the best work of the previous year. The industry will always be a subjective one -- as it is with writing, music, and art in general -- and so often debates can rage for years about winners (and non-winners) alike. 

Some best picture winners are easily forgotten or looked at differently over time. Others stand the test of time and can be enjoyed by present and future audiences alike.

Do we watch to celebrate these films? Do celebrate our favorite actors or actresses? Or do we, as the red carpet arrival shows attest, simply tune in to see what celebrities are wearing.

For some people, it's all of the above. For me, the ceremony still offers a visual goal of where I want to be.

Not as an artist, mind you. Awards are nice, are great recognition by peers but it's not what I set out to do when writing. Getting to that show or the Tony's or any industry related ceremony, is getting to the grandest stage of all and considered be considered a nice little career topper.

While living in Los Angeles, I had a chance to walk through the hallways outside the Dolby Theatre. Going back one day would be a nice notch on the bucket list.

So watching the Academy Awards for me is about dreams. It's about goals. It's about achieving something after years of hard work. Yes, a statue comes along with this particular area of recognition but to me it's about much more than that.

On a grander scheme of things, items of inspiration like this -- whether it be on a large scale like the Academy Awards or the smaller scale of personal success stories in other fields -- always ignite in a me a flame that wanes from time to time. 

And a reminder to keep working at it. The red carpet may never be mine but at least I won't live a life knowing I didn't at least try.

For that, the yearly tradition of watching the show will continue. And so will my pursuit of this career as a writer.

As promised, couple of predictions:

Upset pick of the night: Get Out wins for Best Picture
Over/under on how many jokes about last year's Best Picture snafu: 7
Kobe Bryant wins an Oscar.
Roger Deakins finally wins an Oscar

photo credit: flickr.com





Comments