Infinity War: Key players missing in action


*The following contains spoilers, plot points, and opinions on 'Avengers: Infinity War'. Please abandon all hope if you decide to keep reading and still haven't seen the movie. Don't say I didn't warn you.

*Warning

*Warning

*Danger

*Go ahead and read.

Avengers: Infinity War, the Marvel war to end all wars, opened in movie theaters last week and over the weekend set all kinds of box office records.

Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) was there. So was Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo). Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr) was there, kicking it with Dr. Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch). Thor (Chris Hemsworth) had some fun with Starlord (Chris Pratt) and the other Guardians of the galaxy. And the Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) roamed the battlefield in Wakanda with the entire crew by his side.

This is a small sampling of the multiple heroes who graced the movie screen to do battle with Thanos  (Josh Brolin) and his children.

However, we need to talk about Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner).


And, to a lesser extent, Ant Man (Paul Rudd).

*Note: I have not seen Thor: Ragnarok so I was unaware of the missing Asgardians, like Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), and therefore have no comment on it save for "Where was she?"

We'll get to all that in a moment. I'm not here to give a complete review/rundown of Avengers: Infinity War but I want to say this: it was damn good.

There was a good balance and juggling of the major characters inhabiting the Marvel Universe who we've seen in the previous movies. I sat through all of the end credits, not moving while a mixture of dread and appreciation did battle in my head.

Part of the fun was the new pairings of superheroes and the balancing of action between three and six different locations. While I have difficulty ranking it above the second and third Captain America movies, I'd say it sits in my top-five in the Marvel universe.

The end of the movie was both definitive and open-ended at the same time. I tend not to read a whole lot about movies before they open (interviews, behind-the-scenes, etc.) so I was surprised the Infinity Gauntlet was completed by Thanos.  (A great study in character development, by the way. We know he's evil, he's the bad guy, but is also given moments of empathy.)

At the same time, there is enough info I know about sequels and upcoming planned projects to wonder how many of these deaths will stick and if other movies will be moved in the timeline to take place before Infinity War.

Thor stole the show, along with his new sidekicks Rabbit and Tree. In a way, this movie could have easily acted as a standalone Thor vehicle.  Thor is also given some new depth, something we haven't quite seen before that I enjoyed.

That being said: We need to talk about Hawkeye.

Missing in action: Hawkeye

Clint Barton aka Hawkeye was sorely missed.

Rumors had been swirling regarding Hawkeye, especially since he was not seen in any promotional material for the film. 

Still, even as the movie progressed, I half expected him to show up in the last few minutes, kind of like Luke Skywalker does in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. At the very least, I was expecting a Hawkeye appearance in the post-credits sequence.

Nope and nope.

Big things are coming for Hawkeye, according to writers/directors the Russo Brothers. For a character who has played such a central role in the first two Avenger films, to basically explain his absence away with a line of dialogue hampers the story.

It's understandable, in say Captain America: Civil War to say "Oh, Thor is dealing with trouble back home. That's why he's not here." And it makes sense. It's not Thor's movie.

Nor, I suppose, is it Hawkeye's movie, but to leave out the best archer this side of the Rivendell is something I can't quite behind.

You're telling me he wouldn't have been there in heartbeat if Steve Rogers gave him a call? The fate of the universe is on the line and you leave one of your best players on the bench? No.

I get we're in a two-part/not two-part but separate films sequence of events here. And I believe the filmmakers when they say big things are coming for Hawkeye. (We know Renner is in the film since he is not in Mission Impossible: Fallout. Both films were filming at the same time).

I guess I just miss Hawkeye is all. Maybe absence will make the heart grow even fonder.

As for Ant Man, well, he's off getting ready for his own movie with The Wasp (Evangeline Lilly). Story wise, their absence makes more sense because this movie is coming out later this year and takes place prior to the events of Infinity War. I'm going to go ahead and take an educated guess that there will be something at the end of Ant Man and the Wasp that leads these two characters into the great war. (Or even a post-credits scene sending them into action).

I did keep thinking, however, that either one of the insect characters could have done something, though, like flown into the nostrils of Thanos.

The Avengers need Hawkeye.

And I'm sure they'll get him. The Russos tell us patience is a virtue. I'll go ahead and believe it. For now.

I just wish we didn't have to wait a year to see the master archer do his thing.

photo credits: flickr.com
Talking more about movies, sports, pop culture and more over on Twitter: @jasonrh_78

Comments