Sunday sports confessions with Jason


Heading into the end of the weekend, I realized I hadn't posted, or even thought about, this blog in over a week.

Okay. That's not true. I've been trying to think of something to write over here all weekend (in order to keep up with a goal I set at the start of 2018).

I suppose that can be counted as my first confession, even if it's not sports related.

Recently, it was pointed out to me that the professional wrestling on display in the WWE is fake. The confession part of this? I'm a 39-year old man who enjoys pro wrestling.

Followers of this blog likely already knew this, based off recent posts regarding Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble. And obviously I watch for the stories.

The conversation regarding my watching of the WWE got me thinking: What are other confessions regarding sports that I'd like to make. So I put together a small list because that's what I like to do on Sunday's after a rehearsal.

Confession: I miss the glow puck on NHL broadcasts

I watch a lot of hockey. I follow the sport best I can -- and my favorite team, the Boston Bruins -- but rarely watch on television.

Last night, watching the Bruins versus the Toronto Maple Leafs, I realized I had trouble tracking the puck.  I really wish they never got rid of the glow puck.

For a few years, broadcasts put essentially a tracer/highlighter on the hockey puck, allowing fans to follow its path. Needless to say, the addition was not well received and didn't last too long.

I want it back.

Maybe my eyesight is going or maybe it's just difficult to watch on my 21-inch television, but I could not track the puck for the life of me. To me, the players were just skating from blue line to blue line for the fun of it.

Bring back the glow puck.

Confession: I still think the Houston Astros are in the National League

It's been six months and every time I see the Houston Astros beat the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series, I think the headline must be wrong. The Astros are in the National League so they couldn't have defeated the Dodgers -- also of the National League -- so that headline is wrong.

I'm stupid.

But the Astros will always be a National League team to me. Just like the Milwaukee Brewers are an American League team and the Los Angeles Angels (40 minutes away in Anaheim) of Anaheim will always be the California Angels. 

And the Washington Nationals will always be the Montreal Expos. Always.

Confession: I've never seen The Natural

Don't "at" me.

I know the key scenes and the central premise. Still never seen the movie. 

On the plus side, I've watched Homer at the bat plenty of times.


Confession: I know what a catch is in the NFL


That's right. And I'm keeping it a secret because it's more fun this way. Who doesn't like seeing irate players, coaches, and fans every week -- in at least one game -- during the NFL season?

Confession: I've seen every episode of Friday Night Lights at least five times

I know more about Tim Riggins and Coach Taylor than they probably know about themselves.

And I'm still waiting for the football team from NBC's Rise to take on Coach Taylor's team in Philadelphia. Since both shows were created by Jason Katims, this is a crossover/revival just waiting to happen.

Confession: I chuckle any time I hear the word shuttlecock

Because apparently I'm still a twelve-year old at heart.

These are only a few of my sports confessions. Stay tuned and at a later date I will return with more confessions. 

*Confession: I probably won't.

The photo was taken probably eight or nine years ago but I look wistful.

For more, be sure to follow on Twitter: @jasonrh_78

Comments