A December update

I figured since I was looking to get back into the blog game a little bit, I'd follow up my first post in months (the genius of Craig James) with a little update of what has transpired in my life over the last year.

I'll start in April. I don't know if it was mentioned, but I made a return to the stage. I won't necessarily call it a triumphant return, but it was a return nonetheless. I was lucky enough to act in Alley Repertory Theater's production of The Farnsworth Invention by Aaron Sorkin. It was my first opportunity working with this theater company here in Boise and I must say, it was a joy to be acting again. I've always considered writing my first love, and it still is, but there is a huge part of me that still likes to perform and act when I get the opportunity. Sports were always a huge part of my life growing up and I see acting as that same chance to get up and feel the rush of performing for an audience.

As it turns out, this would be the first of many endeavors with Alley Repertory Theater. My good friend Aaron, who in March had been named director of the Alley Underground, decided in the early part of the summer that he wanted to bring me on as a Co-Director of the Alley Underground. At the point, we began the painful process of reading plays and making decisions on what to put up in our designated slot during the month of September. Keep in mind this was in May when we began the process of looking for plays. Let's just say the road was not bump free.

I will spare all of the details, but it wasn't until early August that we finally settled on a project. After 3 misses on our behalf, we finally settled on a project. It would be initially known as plan D, but we later re-named it Voices from the Boise Hole. It was an original play co-written by myself and the great Evan Sesek and it starred not only four local actors, but people that are all close friends. (For record sake, those people are Aaron Kiefer, Luke Massengill, Sarah Gardner, and Dakotah Brown). The process was quite taxing, as we were taking a play from inception to stage all within a month time span. Let me tell you, it was all worth it. The experience I had doing this show I will keep with me all my life.

Earlier in the summer, long before this show was an atom of a thought, my full length play Solace was given a staged reading at the same theater company. It was well-received, as far as I could tell, and it is my hopes that I will have a full production done somewhere by next summer.

Hmmm...That's right. I typed out my thoughts. Don't judge me... As earlier blog posts mentioned, my buddy Trevor was in town from L.A. making a feature film called Spray Paint Atlas. He shot much of the film throughout the Northwest, including a few weeks here in Boise. I was lucky enough to be given a small part in the film, which I am thankful for. I'm sure at this moment Trevor is deep in a cave somewhere editing his film and release it upon the world in no time.

I'm sure I forgot something, but all Christmas form letter... I mean updates... must end sometime. I am currently working on 2 plays and a screenplay. It's a screenplay I've been working on for years, but I usually only work on it around Christmas, so it's a slow process. All in all, things are good and I want to take this moment, because it happens so rarely, to thank all of the great people I have in my life. Without your support, love, fun, and beer, life would be much duller. I thank you.

Jason

Comments