July is Burning


Two years.

It was a little over two years ago I decided to quit my full-time, comfortable job within the banking industry. I had saved up enough money, was pretty miserable, and decided it was time to pursue writing with full on gusto.

I lasted 15 months before I was back in the work field.

Nine months later, here in the present day, I once again have a full-time day job, but my pursuit of  a life as a writer continues.

I did not go back to the banking industry. Despite the friends I made during my seven years with the bank, I do not miss the day-to-day grind. As the years wore on there, I felt my drive to be a writer waning and needed to get out.

Though I am back in day job world, I find time to write. Much of that occurs after ten hour days at work and coming in to put in another 2-3 of writing. Days off are spent writing, fine tuning pitches, polishing up websites, and sending in submissions. It is a grind, yes, and certain sacrifices have been made in regards to a personal and social life in the process.

It hasn't translated into a career (yet), but the long hours of writing and living a life of solitude have been worth what I've learned and accomplished over this time.

Two years.

Two years ago I self-published my first novel, The Dragon Princess. Releasing this book out into the world was a tough choice. I am a pretty staunch supporter of physical books and physical bookstores, but I felt the novel was at a place in which publication was needed.

I am still working on getting an agent or a publisher or even finding the money to publish physical copies myself. That is still the dream because there would be nothing more thrilling than holding a physical copy of this book in my hands.

During this time, I have also had my first play published. I have joined an acting group and writing group that are both on the cusp of doing some big things here in Boise.

I have continued to work for Alley Repertory Theater, even becoming their resident playwright in the process.

I have directed my first film and co-written others that have been filmed here in Boise.

Sports have always been integral in my life and two opportunities to write about them are going strong as I continue to contribute articles to both Bronco Nation News and Chowder and Champions.

There are countless other small victories that I sometimes overlook in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes the rejection letters and emails overshadow those small victories. I dwell on the negative when instead I should be using both the victories and the defeats as building blocks for a future.

It's certainly been a ride. I'm thankful for every moment of it.

Enough of the two year updates. It's time for a "since the start of June" update.

I was lucky enough to participate in HomeGrown Theatre's Second Annual Ten-Minute play festival. Playwrights are given a month to write a ten-minute play, given only a prompt and the theme of "The Dog Days of Summer". Like last summer, there were good plays by good playwrights and I hope to use mine to submit to other ten-minute readings/contests around the country.

I hope to begin shooting a film here shortly, one that I'll be in. Time to dust off the ol' acting shoes.

As I've said before, I sometimes have writing A.D.D. and that's been pretty prevalent over the last month. I finished a rewrite of  my television pilot, The Path(s) of Andy Wilson. I'm 3/4 of the way through a rewrite of my third full-length play, The Latitude of Life. I've worked on the follow up to The Dragon Princess. The Blue Gem is coming along nicely, though my initial goal of finishing the first draft by the end of July will not happen. My goal is now for the end of the year. (I've been reading a lot of Joseph Campbell lately, partially leading to me taking my time a bit more with the fantasy world in which these stories live).

I've also been working on Palm Trees and Paradise, a novel I started years ago. 

I've also squeezed in the beginnings of a new play and the edit of another novel. See what I mean about writing A.D.D.?

And I'm happy with the progress. Not simply content, mind you. I'm always striving to get these projects published, produced, and read. But I love to write.

I'm happy with life. The aforementioned personal life has taken a hit, but I'm getting out there a bit again. Because as a writer, you need definitely need your solitude, but you also need to get out from time to time. 

If you want to write about life, it's a good idea to take part in it from time to time.






Comments