The poetry style of a younger self


The Journey of Now has been around for awhile now. I've been known, from time to time, to share some poetry from another lifetime ago.

I have not tried my hand at any new, sappy poems for years now. I'm not even entirely sure one can call them poems. They are a glimpse into the mind of a forlorn man. A man-child with bigger, romantic ideas of the world who was suffering a broken heart. (See. Sappy.)

Okay. Not all of them were like that, but a majority were. Going back to old writing is always quite the adventure and the learning experience. For example, my early 20's self referred to, in my writing, every female a girl. No matter the age, the word was girl and not woman.

I'm hopeful I have gained new insight and learned more as my life as a writer has (supposedly) progressed. Time will continue to tell. One thing is for certain: I hope I never stop growing and learning.

To keep up with my process--and to stay up-to-date--you can subscribe to my newsletter. I just sent out the one for November today. Sign up and I'll make sure to get it sent your way. Send me an email at jrhask14@gmail.com with the subject SUBSCRIBE. In case you missed it, you can read here why I started a monthly newsletter.

As for now, here's a poem from 2005.

Sea Sick

A smile that eases pain
except that of your own

You gave one percent
and I returned it with rejection

Heart fell apart 
and tears crashed to the floor.

The door opened again 
and the roles reversed.

It's a long climb back
and each step is fragile

In the end,
we will be back at the top.

Smiling.
Waving.
In love.
And alone.
Seas apart.
Close.

Will the distance be bridged?

Comments