I sleep, the computer sleeps


The lack of focus is a fine way to start off the year.

I stare at the blinking cursor. Enough time passes that the screen goes from active to asleep. My brain is in a little bit of a fog on the first Sunday in January.

Topics are there, but nothing is forming behind them.

We look at the Buffalo Bills/Jacksonville Jaguars game from earlier today. Was each team's defense just THAT good or was the offense of each just THAT inept? For more on this, tune into to every other person's take on Twitter.

Okay. See. This was an idea that didn't have much traction behind it. Both teams had little business being in the playoffs, though I will say the Jaguars earned it more than the Bills did. Buffalo was trading away top defensive players and starting a quarterback who had no business starting halfway through the season.

And yet here they were, getting to the playoffs for what seems like the first time since Buffalo 66 came out. (It wasn't, but close enough). The San Diego Los Angeles Chargers and even Baltimore deserved to be in more than the Bills. The Chargers would have been in, had they found a kicker. Instead of 9-7 they could have easily been 11-5 or 12-4.

And the winner of the Golden Globe is...

Maybe I'll write about the Golden Globes. There are some great shows and movies this year. And plenty of stars are united to take a stand against the problem of sexual harassment in not only Hollywood but the world in general. 

Looking over the list of nominees, I realize I have seen very little in the past year in the regards to new films. I've done a halfway decent job at keeping up on the television side. Big Little Lies was a top one for me, closely followed by The Deuce.

Go see Lady Bird, if you have the chance. Spectacularly acted, written, and directed, this film is one of the best I've seen in a few years. (I'll have more on the film in my next newsletter).

I also stand in solidarity with the countless others wearing black today but after a quick perusal of my closet I found I do not own anything black. A couple of dirty t-shirts are black so those are out. In the end, I throw on some black socks to support the cause from my black couch.

Parity in college basketball

There are no undefeated teams in division I men's basketball. There isn't even a clear cut favorite in which I see a team dominate on a nightly basis. Honestly, though, I haven't seen Arizona State play so maybe they're the real deal. I watched Villanova lose last week as well as Kansas. Wichita State? Virginia? They look decent but these are two teams who always fare well in the regular season and falter come tourney time.

Kansas was able to recover from their loss with a road win over the previously-with-only-one-loss TCU. But Oklahoma and West Virginia are also lurking in the Big-12.

Over in the ACC, Boston College has more wins then Duke -- who the Eagles beat in December -- and Notre Dame is winning games without its two biggest stars.

Even as I write this, the number one ranked Michigan State Spartans are losing by 21 to Ohio State. 

It should be a fun time come March.

[Scene Missing]

I'm back. I had an urge to go look up the Paranormal Activity movies. I needed some clarification regarding the 4th installment. IFC is showing a marathon today and maybe, just maybe, I wasted a bit of time watching them, even though I've seen the first three.

Speaking of IFC, why is Two and a Half Men on this channel? There is nothing independent about this show. 

These are a few of my thoughts on a Sunday. I woke up far too early today and productivity has waned as the days has progressed. Perhaps if I'd written this blog post earlier, I could have expanded on the above topics with more depth and more gusto. (Call it a deep dive, if you will, but if you ever catch me promoting something as such, please harass me. This term might one day warrant one of my "old man rants", along with the misspelling of the word "whoa" -- it's not woah -- or the entire "hold my beer" comparisons.)

Thanks for stopping by. If I get Sunday second wind, I might be back for more. If not, I'm thankful for these few minutes of writing the day provided me.

For more random musings, sports updates, and retweets, follow on Twitter: @jasonrh_78
Pictures of things, places, and sometimes food: Instagram @jasonrh_78

Comments