Saying good-bye to Game of Thrones, 4 weeks early


After a lot of consideration and long hours of lost sleep, I've decided to call it a night in regards to Game of Thrones.


Four episodes remain in this epic series, but I'm out. No more Sunday night sword fights, barbs from Cersei (Lena Headey), or hearing Missandei (Nathalie Emmanuel) announcing Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) and her list of -- rough estimate -- 82 titles.


Now, it's not because I've been discouraged by the first two episodes of the season. I have, in fact, quite enjoyed the first two episodes. With such a limited run in its final season, many have been clamoring for more action, but with this week's episode Battle of Winterfell we'll likely get 82 minutes of battle.

Last week's episode "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" was well-constructed. We had touching moments between friends and strange bedfellows, a song, heart-warming gestures, and of course, the knighting of the now Ser Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie). The episode gave us a slice of happiness before it inevitably all falls apart this week.


So I'm going to call it good.

There's no need for me to see multiple characters perish. (Or 13, if you're to go off of the prediction of the recent Hollywood Reporter article). Some of our favorite characters were always going to perish -- it happens even in my own books -- but I have chosen to not see this happen with Game of Thrones. I will leave this fantasy television series world as I saw them last week, all in a place on the right side of the heart. Even though many of these characters have been endearing and infuriating, often in the same episode, I will walk away with them convened at the edge of Winterfell.

I will step away with the perfect image of greatness in my head. The White Walkers will simply bypass Winterfell and head straight to sack King's Landing. They will settle there while the ragtag group of heroes live out their days swapping stories, rolling in the hay, valiantly surviving and drinking milk from the teet of a Giant.

One can only dream.

Game of Quotes

Sixteen favorite quotes and lines of dialogue have been whittled down to eight after the round of voting in the Game of Thrones: Favorite quotes tournament. Voting took place -- and will continue to do so -- on both Facebook and Twitter, with the winner being decided just before the series finale.

This week's matchups:

1) Winter is coming
2) I drink and I know things

4) A girl lies
2) Chaos is a ladder

1) You know nothing, Jon Snow
2) I want her to know it was me

1) Hodor!
2) Arya's kill list


photo credit: goodfreephotos.com

Coming in May: The Best Summer Film of 1999 tournament

Comments